- 1 cup sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 package refrigerated pie crusts (2 crusts)
Avocado Crema Sauce
- 1 large, ripe avocado, mashed
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema, sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
Place chopped sweet potato in small sauce pan. Cover with water and add 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Cook 5 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
In a deep skillet begin browning beef over medium heat, breaking up with a spatula into crumbles. Add onion and stir until cooked through. Add chopped garlic and seasonings and continue cooking 1 minute. Add diced tomato and chilies and continue cooking on low heat for about 5 minutes. Add cilantro, sweet potatoes and cheese and stir to combine. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
Cut dough into 6 – inch rounds on a lightly floured work surface. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment or wax paper. Lay dough circles out on pans. Place 2 heaping tablespoons of meat filling on each circle, paint edges with water and fold dough over in half to enclose. Use a fork to press and seal edges. In a small bowl, beat the egg and water to make an egg wash and lightly brush the surface of each empanada.
Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot with Avocado-Crema Sauce.
Avocado Crema Sauce
Combine avocado, crema, lime juice, cilantro and salt. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
Nutrition information per serving: 230 calories; 10 g fat (4.5 g saturated fat; 0 g trans fat); 45 mg cholesterol; 680 mg sodium; 25 g carbohydrate; 3 g fiber; 3 g sugar; 10 g protein; 60% vitamin A; 15% calcium; 10% vitamin C; 10% iron