- 1 pound Ground Beef (90% lean)
- 1 and 1/2 pounds russet potatoes (2 large potatoes), peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup milk
- 4 tablespoon butter, cut into chunks
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided use
- 1 can (4 ounce) diced mild green chilies, drained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package (1 and 1/4 ounces) taco seasoning
- 1 and 1/2 cups salsa (hot, medium or mild depending on preference)
- 1 can (15 and 1/2 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- Pepper, to taste
Avocado & Tomato Topping
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1/2 of a lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with 1 inch water. Stir in salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Drain potatoes and return to pot. Mash potatoes until smooth. Add butter, milk, green chilies and 2/3 cup of cheese. Stir until well combined, cover and set aside.
While potatoes are cooking, cook beef in a large skillet, breaking up with a spatula, stirring occasionally until browned. Add garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute. Drain, sprinkle in the taco seasoning, add salsa and stir to combine. Cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently, until the mixture comes to a simmer and thickens. Remove from heat and gently stir in black beans.
Transfer meat mixture to a 2 – quart baking dish and spread out evenly. Top with the mashed potatoes, spreading to an even layer all the way to the edges; sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake for 30 – 40 minutes until beginning to turn brown.
While pie is baking, place the diced tomatoes, avocado, cilantro and lime juice in a medium bowl, season with salt and pepper, stir to combine. Top each serving with a big scoop of avocado and tomato mixture.
Nutrition information per serving: 510 calories; 25 g fat (11 g saturated fat; 0 g trans fat); 80 mg cholesterol; 1910 mg sodium; 47 g carbohydrate; 11 g fiber; 7 g sugar; 28 g protein; 20% vitamin A; 20% calcium; 30% vitamin C; 25% iron